Breakfast, being the first meal of the day, is extremely important. So it is very important to incorporate healthy, nutritious items in our breakfast. At the same time, the dish also has to be quick and simple to prepare. And a recipe that is best of both these combinations is Wheat Rava idli. This is an ideal dish for breakfast that is tasty, healthy, and a quick dish at the same time.
Why Is Broken Wheat Healthy?
Broken wheat is made by pounding whole raw wheat. There is no refining process involved. This broken wheat is also termed “Dalia”. As compared to white or brown rice, 1 cup of broken wheat has much fewer calories and carbohydrates but has a rich content of fiber. Because of that broken wheat is preferred highly over normal white rice.
Wheat Rava Idli Preparation
Wheat Rava Idli is a preparation that is made up of wheat that is fulfilling and tasty at the same time. They can be prepared in various ways adding ingredients as per the choices of the maker. In the case of wheat Rava idli, the vibrant color comes from the addition of carrots in place of turmeric powder.
Wheat Rava which is broken wheat is termed “Dalia” in Hindi and “godhuma Rava” in Telugu. Just like dhokla, this godhuma Rava idli is an instant recipe and does not require fermentation. Now without any further delay let’s get started.
Types Of Equipment Needed
- Idli Plates
- Pressure Cooker
- Mixing Bowl
- Broken wheat/ dalia – 1 cup
- Curd (plain yogurt) – ½ cup
- Carrot (grated) – 1
- Eno salt – ½ tsp
- Water (adjust as needed) – ¾ cup
- Salt (adjust as needed) – ¾ tsp
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped) – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seed – 1 tsp
- Cashews – 5-6 pieces
- Split Bengal gram – 1 tbsp
- Few curry leaves
- Green chili – 1
- Ginger – 1 tsp
Process of Wheat Rava Idli
Here is the in-depth process of making Wheat Rava Idli at home:
Roasting Broken Wheat
Heat a pan and dry roast the broken wheat for 2-3 minutes and then transfer these dry roasted broken wheat to a mixing bowl.
Preparing The Tempering
First add oil to the pan, when the oil starts to get hot add mustard seed and stir well till it starts to sputter. Then add the urad dal and fry them till they start to turn golden brown. Then add cashews and fry till they turn light brown and finally add the curry leaves and fry for 2 seconds and turn the flame off.
Preparing The Idli Batter
- First in a mixing bowl assemble the roasted wheat, the tampering mixture, grated carrot, coriander leaves, and salt and give it a good mix.
- Then add curd and water to the mixture and make a batter. Make sure the batter is thick and consistent. Keep the batter aside for 10 minutes for the broken wheat to absorb the curd and water.
- After 10 minutes add more water to make it consistent and add the eno salt and give it a good mix. Eno salt brings the fluffiness in the idli. You can use baking salt in the place of eno salt.
Cooking The Idli
- Grease each of the idli plates and fill the moulds well and pour idli batter in each mould. Cover the top and let it steam cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the idlis are ready allow them to cool down for some time and then take them out from the moulds.
- Serve them with idli milagai podi or any chutney variety.
Wheat Rava Idli: A Glance
Tried This Receipe?
Please rate the recipe by clicking the stars below.
Wheat Rava Idli
Broken Wheat Rava idli is instant idli made with all healthy ingredients. There is no fermentation involved in the making of this idli. It is one of the very quick, delicious, and healthy dish one can start their day with.
Indian / South Indian
Wheat Rava idli is a healthy yet tasty breakfast dish that you can make in just 35 minutes. So make sure you try this because incorporating healthy yet tasty ingredients in our daily dishes is very important especially when it is breakfast.