Matar paneer is a famous Indian curry dish that is prepared with green peas and the Indian cottage cheese that is also commonly known as paneer. This is from the versatile North Indian cuisine that has various forms. Today, we will be sharing an easy matar paneer recipe that you can easily make at home.
About Matar Paneer Dish
This easy matar paneer recipe without cream is generally made at home as this takes very little time. This is an authentic North Indian dish whose primary ingredients are cottage cheese and green peas. This dish can be prepared with and without onions, there is not much difference in the taste.
This classic dish can be prepared in various ways across Indian households and every home may have a varied touch in its dish. So without any further delay, let us begin with the classic matar paneer recipe.
Pure Desi Matar Paneer Recipe
Matar paneer is a great combination of healthy green peas and soft paneer in a light spicy gravy that is primarily prepared with tomato and several other ingredients. We will get into the details of this recipe now. If you want to know the matar paneer recipe restaurant style, then keep on reading. Other than that there are various other recipes on paneer like palak paneer recipe, Shahi paneer recipe, etc which we will discuss in other articles.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen Green Peas or matar
- 3/4 cup Paneer or cottage cheese
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 Green Chili, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 5-6 Cashew Nuts,
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- For shallow frying and 2 tablespoons Oil or Ghee or clarified butter
- 1/2 cup Water
- Salt to taste
The preparation time required is 10 minutes and the cooking time is nearly 30 minutes. So the total time required to prepare this dish is 40 minutes. This North Indian main course dish serves approximately 2 people.
- Firstly, let us make the grave. For that heat 1 and a half tablespoons of oil in a pan. Then add the chilis, cloves, cashews, green chili and saute for a few seconds, once the cashews starters to change the color slightly, add the onions, ginger, and the tomatoes, and in a medium flame let it cook for about 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes become soft and can be squashed easily.
- Now once it is done, transfer it into a bowl and allow it to cool. After a few minutes, when it cools down, transfer that into a mixer and make a fine paste out of it. Now your gravy is ready.
- Next, boil the matar or green peas until they are soft and drain the water and keep them aside.
- Now in the same pan, add some more oil and fry the paneer till they start to turn light brown. Then transfer that in a bowl.
- Now again in the same bowl, add some Asafoetida (hing) and then add the paste. Cook the tomato paste until it starts to release oil. Once it is done, add turmeric, chili, and coriander powder and cook for another minute.
- At this time, you can add the salt and sugar as per taste.
- Now add the matars and the paneer and cook for another one to two minutes and then add water and let it cook for a few minutes on the medium flame. Close the lid.
- After 2-3 minutes, remove the lid, add garam masala, mix well and serve with paratha or butter nun.
Pure Desi Matar Paneer Recipe
Here is a matar paneer recipe dhaba style in a gist.
Tried This Recipe?
Please rate the recipe by clicking the stars below.
Matar paneer is one of the most classic recipes of this country. This tastes delicious when served with paratha or butter nun.
The Bottom Line
Matar paneer is a traditional North Indian recipe that is now consumed globally. Its primary ingredients include matar (green peas) and paneer (cottage cheese). This i9s a combination of tender paneer and juicy peas with Indian spices. Here is a matar paneer recipe, that is super easy to prepare and you should try this at home.