Every time we want to try Indian cuisine, we generally stick to recipes like Biriyani, Chicken Tikka Masala, Naan, Palang Chicken, and Indian Raita. But there is more than that when it comes to Indian Cuisine. Today we will try something with Lamb and so here is a simple lamb curry recipe for you to try at home.
The Effective Tip For This Best Lamb Curry Recipe
This best lamb curry recipe is made by slowly cooking the lamb shanks and chunks of the lamb shoulder in a flavor enriched curry base with chopped potatoes, apples, garlic, onion, raisins, and lemon until these ingredients fall apart tenderly.
When there are sudden guests at home for dinner, this is my go-to recipe always and so today I am going with you. The key to making this recipe is slow cooking the tougher cuts of lambs. But the shoulders and shanks of a young lamb receive plenty of exercise, which makes this meat way more flavorful in comparison to a delicate lamb chop. But this exercise also makes the lamb meat tough and hence you will have to cook it for a longer time to soften it.
Bone Or Boneless
I generally use bone-in lamb shoulders or shanks and stew meat for making the lamb curry as it offers an additional flavor and marrow goodness that you can get from your bones. I can assure you that once you complete the cooking, the meat falls away from the bones making it an easy job to segregate the bones before serving.
Also, if you prefer to go boneless, you can do that as well. Just make sure that the meat you are using is from a more flavorful cut of the lamb like shoulders or shanks.
Lamb Curry Recipe: Your Easy Dinner Solution
This simple and authentic lamb curry recipe of mine is typical of the various versions that are found in several North Indian restaurants. Also, these flavors seem to dominate the European and American restaurant scenes as well. Without any further delay, let us start with this amazing, yet simple recipe of lamb curry directly from my kitchen.
- 2 pounds boneless or 3 pounds bone-in, lamb stew meat or shank or shoulder
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 to 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 to 3 tbsp ghee or 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil with 1 tbsp butter
- 2 to 3 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 2 slices of lemon, with rind
- 2 peeled and also chopped apples, preferably tart green Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup (40g) of golden raisins
- 1 1/2 cups (350ml) chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pounds of small potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups basmati rice
For this North Indian lamb curry recipe, the preparation time required is 60minutes and the cooking time is nearly 2 hours. So the total time required to prepare this dish is 3 hours. This Indian main course serves approximately 6 people.
- Heat a pan with either ghee or the olive oil with butter on medium flame. If required work in batches and brown the meat well on both sides and then remove it from the pan.
- Once it is done, the next step is to add the curry powder to the ghee or oil that is on the pan. Cook gently for nearly 2 minutes. Add garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, return the browned lambs to the pan and add coriander, cumin, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, apples, sliced lemons, chicken stocks, raisins, and salt.
- Now bring that to simmer, decrease the heat to low, and cover the pot. Cook that for 1 hour and 15 minutes on low flame to see the meat falling out of its bone.
- Next, add the potatoes to the curry and cook that for another 45 minutes.
- While this is cooking, in another pan cook the rice. Put 2 cups of Basmati Rice in a medium sized pan. Add 3 cups of water and cook that.
- For serving, you can pull the meat off the bones or leave it on. Taste for salt and then add some more curry powder or add cayenne if you wish things spicier.
Lamb Curry Recipe In A Gist
Let us have a look at this recipe in a gist.
Tried This Recipe?
Please rate the recipe by clicking the stars below.
Lamb Curry Recipe
Easy yet delicious, lamb curry is a simple and wholesome meal to put together. This Indian lamb curry recipe is made with onions and tomatoes cooked with spices for a flavorful, hearty dish that is ideal to make for a crowd.
When you think about Indian cuisine there are many things to think about beyond our regular butter masala or the Palang recipes. Indian cuisine is rich in species and quite flavorful and if you have a taste bud for that, I would recommend you should experience the variety this cuisine offers. In the above article, I have explained one of my favorite dishes, the lamb curry recipe in Indian style. If you wish to impress your guests tonight at dinner do give this a try.