Chicken Vindaloo Recipe: Have The Best Dish On Your Plate
Goa is the best state for tourism in India and you can explore various awesome beaches, historical places, and heritage sites along with various local cuisine. You should eat traditional food while you are in Goa. Goan chicken vindaloo is said to be the best option among their local food. This is a spicy dish that is prepared by the process of marination. In this article, we will see the Chicken Vindaloo recipe.
The history of Vindaloo begins from the time when the Portuguese sailors carried wooden barrels that consisted of meat that were soaked in a mixture of garlic and wine. This was a primitive technique to preserve, flavor up, and brine the meat. Over the period of time, wine transformed into vinegar, and eventually, the meat developed a flavor. Influenced by this Portuguese technique a new dish was developed called “Vindaloo”. Special flavors and spices were added to match it with the local taste buds.
Chicken Vindaloo Recipe
Vindaloo recipe authentic dish is a thick dry curry that bursts with flavors of spices and garlic. The authentic does not use any onions or tomatoes. It is only the marination of the meat and the cooking in the Vindaloo paste. We get to taste so many variations of this dish like Chicken Vindaloo with Potatoes, or Chicken Vindaloo restaurant style. Without any further delay let us see the Chicken Vindaloo recipe.
- 1 – 3 1⁄2 – lb chicken, quartered and skinned
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Ghee or butter
- 3 – garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 – cups yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 – tablespoons ginger powder
- 2 – teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 – teaspoons yellow mustard seeds, ground
- 1 – teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 – teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 – tablespoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 – teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 – tablespoon paprika
- 2 – teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 – tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 – teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 – teaspoons salt
- 2 – cups water
For The Tamarind Paste
- 2 – tablespoons dried tamarind, mixed with
- 2 – tablespoons hot water, worked through a sieve, discarding the seeds
The marination time required to get the best taste is overnight and the cooking time is 1 hr 10 minutes. The total time that is required to prepare this dish is approximately 1 hr 10 minutes except for the marination time. This is a Indian cuisine and the quantities mentioned above serve 4-6 people.
- Remove the seeds from the red chilies and gather them in a bowl. Add 3 tbsps of vinegar and 3 – 4 tbsps of hot water and put it aside.
- In the meantime, prepare the spice powder. For that add coriander seeds, pepper, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, and green cardamom in a mixer and blend them until they become a fine powder.
- Then add the soaked red chilies and chopped ginger and garlic in the blending jar and then add vinegar and water mixture that you used to soak the red chilies.
- Then blend them well until you get a fine paste. Now make the turmeric paste. For that mix turmeric with water and make a paste. Then sieve the paste finely so that there are no seeds left.
- Then add this paste to the chicken pieces, add salt, turmeric paste, and mix them well. Marinate the chicken for a long time. If possible, marinate the chicken overnight.
- In a pan, heat oil, then add the finely chopped onions and fry them until they turn golden brown. Then add vinegar, little sugar, and the marinated chicken and cook it properly.
- Then add the tomato puree and saute the chicken well for a few minutes.
- Mix them well and then cook the chicken from low to medium heat until the chicken is cooked completely and is tender from inside.
- Serve it hot with bread or rice.
Chicken Vindaloo Recipe In Gist
Here is a chicken Vindaloo recipe in the gist that will help you to summarize this amazing dish.
Tried This Recipe?
Please rate the recipe by clicking the stars below.
Chicken Vindaloo is a famous dish influenced by the Portuguese which is prepared by marinating and simmering the meat in a vindaloo paste that is filled with spice. The term “Vindaloo” means “meat marinated in garlic and wine”.
1 Hour 10 Minutes
For Tamarind Paste
An authentic chicken Vindaloo is a dry thick curry whose main process is marination. This was brought to India by the Portuguese and now there are variations like Chicken Vindaloo Goan recipe, Mangalorean Chicken Vindaloo recipe, Creamy Chicken Vindaloo recipe, and many more.