The Atkins diet is mainly a low carb diet that is usually suggested for weight loss. Proponents of this diet assert that one can lose weight while eating as much protein and fat as one wishes to, as long as they ignore foods that are high in carbs. We will learn more about this diet in this article.
What Is The Atkins Diet?
This is a low carbohydrate eating plan that was formulated in the 1960s by Robert C. Atkins. This diet prevents carbs while focusing more on fats and proteins. It has various phases for maintenance and weight loss, beginning with a very low carbohydrate eating plan. The low carb diet which was previously known as the Atkins Nutritional Approach, has been mentioned in several books and is acclaimed to launch the low-carb diet trend.
The aim of this diet is to alter your eating habits to support you to lose weight and keep it off. This also asserts to be a healthy lifelong method to eating, whether you wish to boost your energy, lose weight, or help enhance certain health issues, like high blood pressure or metabolic syndrome.
The Atkins Diet In 4 Phases
This diet of low-carbs is split into 4 varied phases:
- Phase 1 (induction): Under 20 grams of carbs every day for 2 weeks. Consume high-fat, high-protein, along with low-carb vegetables such as leafy greens. This kick-starts the weight loss routine. This is the atkins diet phase 1 food list.
- Phase 2 (balancing): Slowly increase more nuts, vegetables that are low in carbs and small portions of fruit back to your diet.
- Phase 3 (fine-tuning): When you are very near to your goal weight, add some more carbs to your diet until weight loss starts to slow down.
- Phase 4 (maintenance): Here you can consume as many healthy carbs as your body can take without regaining your weight.
However, all these phases are a bit complex and may not be required. You should have the potential to lose weight and keep that off as long as you stay committed to your Atkins diet plan. Some people select to skip the Phase 1 (induction) altogether and add plenty of vegetables and fruit from the beginning. This method can be effective also. Others choose to just stay in the induction phase obscurely. This is also termed as a very low-carb ketogenic diet (keto).
Foods To Consume
You should base your primary diet around these healthy Atkins Diet foods.
- Meats: Beef, lamb, chicken, pork, bacon and others.
- Fatty fishes and seafood: trout, Salmon, sardines, etc.
- Eggs: The healthiest eggs are the once that are omega-3 enriched or pastured.
- Low-carb vegetables: Kale, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, and others.
- Full-fat dairy: cheese, butter cream, full-fat yogurt.
- Nuts and seeds: macadamia nuts, walnuts, Almonds, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Healthy fats: coconut oil, avocados, extra virgin olive oil, and avocado oil.
Foods Of Avoid
If you are this diet, then you should ignore these foods:
- Sugar: Soft drinks, cakes, candy, fruit juices, ice cream, etc.
- Grains: Wheat, rye, barley, spelt, rice.
- Trans fats: Usually available in processed foods with the word “hydrogenated” on the list of ingredients.
- “Low-fat” and “Diet” foods: These are mainly very high in sugar.
- High-carb vegetables: turnips, Carrots, etc (induction only).
- High-carb fruits: Bananas, oranges, pears, apples, grapes (induction only).
- Starches: sweet potatoes, Potatoes (induction only).
- Legumes: Lentils, chickpeas, beans, etc. (induction only).
How To Be On Atkins Diet When Eating Out?
It is actually very convenient to follow this diet at most of the restaurants.
- Get yourself extra vegetables rather than bread, potatoes or rice.
- Order a meal that is based on fatty meat or fatty fish.
- Get yourself some extra sauce, olive oil, or butter with your meal.
The Bottom Line
If you are serious about the Atkins diet, think of purchasing or borrowing one of the books by Atkins and simply begin as soon as possible. This is an effective and healthy way for you to lose weight without even compromising on your regular diet. You can follow all the phases one by one, or can even customize the phases as per requirement. Everything is on you.