If you are interested in trying Yoga breathing exercises that will allow you to reduce your anxiety and stress and will also improve your lungs function then you are at the right place. In this article, we will discuss about 10 Indian yoga breathing exercises.
How To Add Breathing Exercises To Your Daily Routine?
You will not need to take a lot of time from your day to do yoga breathing exercises. It is all about setting aside some of your time to give attention to your breathing. Here are few ideas to do yoga breathing exercises for beginners:
- Start with just 5 minutes a day, and expand your time as the exercise becomes more comfortable and easier.
- If 5 minutes is too long, you can start with just 2 minutes.
- Practice more than one time a day. Schedule time for practicing conscious breathing as you feel the requirement.
5 Yoga Breathing Exercises
Yoga is a great form of exercise that not only helps your body to remain healthy, it also allows your mind to stay healthy. The yoga breathing exercises benefits are immense. There are yoga breathing exercises for covid, for weight loss, and many more that we will discuss in this section.
Pursed Lip Breathing
The pursed lip breathing enables you to slow down your breathing pace by allowing you to apply efforts every time you breathe deliberately. You can practice this yoga any time of the day. You can do this especially during lifting, bending, or climbing the stairs.
To do it:
- Relax your shoulders and neck.
- Keep your mouth closed and then slowly inhale through your nose for 2 counts.
- Purse or pucker your lips as though you were going to whistle.
- Slowly exhale by blowing air through the pursed lips for a count of 4.
Belly breathing enables you to use your diaphragm properly. Do this belly breathing exercise when you are resting and feeling relaxed. Practice this yoga breathing exercise for 5 to 10 minutes and per day 3 to 4 times.
To do it:
- Lie with your back on the ground and with your knees slightly bent and keep your head on a pillow.
- You can place a pillow under your knees as well for support.
- Place one hand on your upper chest and the other hand below your rib cage, which will allow you to feel the movement of your diaphragm.
- Inhale slowly through your nose, feeling your stomach that you are pressing into your hand.
- Place your other hand as still as possible.
- Slowly exhale by using pursed lips as you start to tighten the muscles of your stomach, keeping your upper hand completely frozen.
Breath Focus Technique
This exercise requires imagery or focus words and phrases. These focus words you can choose on your own that make you smile and relaxed or something that is completely neutral to think about. After you have chosen your focus work, repeat that through your practice. You can initially begin with a 10 minutes session but as you start to become comfortable you can increase your session to 20 minutes. This is a good yoga breathing exercise for lungs.
To do it:
- Lie or sit down in a comfortable place.
- Bring your concentration to your breaths without trying to alter how you’re breathing.
- Alternate between deep breaths and normal a few times. Notice any distinction between deep breathing and normal breathing.
- Practice this deep breathing for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Now place one hand below your belly button, by keeping your belly relaxed, and take note of how it expands with each inhale and falls with every exhale.
- Let out a loud sigh with every exhale.
These yoga breathing exercises are great for anger management and help you to keep calm. It releases your stress and makes you feel refreshed. You can do this once every day for 10 – 15 minutes.
To do it:
- Keep your hands on your head.
- Start taking deep breaths through your nose, by lifting your hands up.
- Then slowly exhale and bring your hand back on your head.
Ocean breath allows you to calm your mind, improve your concentration and focus, and generates better sleep. Try doing this twice every day, once in the morning and once in the night before going to bed. This is a good yoga breathing exercise for weight loss.
To do it:
- Begin by sitting in the easy pose.
- Close your eyes and concentrate your breath.
- Take 2-3 deep breaths. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth.
- Now, place your palms on your ears shutting out any external sound.
- Every time you exhale through your mouth, focus on the sound of your breath.
- Repeat thrice and relax.
You can try most of these yoga breathing exercises right now. Take out the time to experiment with new types of exercises and breathing techniques. Dedicate a certain amount of time every week for your breathing exercises. You can do these exercises throughout the day.