The first global film event that is going to be held in 2021 is the 74th edition of the Cannes Film Festival 2021. This event will be held under strict health related guidelines. In this article, we will be discussing the Cannes safety measures for 2021.
Cannes general secretary, François Desrousseaux has said that he has been hammering out measures ensuring the safety of all who will be present there. He has discussions with Cannes producers, organizers, and also the regional authorities of the Cannes. He also stated that while having that discussion with the government he aimed to soften the international travel regulation. But their main concern has always remained the security and wellbeing of visitors.
The major alteration in place for 2021 includes proper use of masks at the time of screening that is scheduled to be filled at 100% of their capacity to provide seating and also around and on the red carpet.
In the meantime, the guests are expected to keep 1 meter distance from each other in queues, while the zone for fans in front of the Palais where the filmmakers and stars are seen stopping to give pictures and autographs before crossing the street to reach the red carpet will be removed. Only a smaller section of the fan zone will be present at Palais where the stars can remove their mask only for photographs.
According to Desrousseaux,
It is important to avoid long queues and gathering during and at the end of the screening.
According to the executive,
On the other hand, the security will be as strict as it was in 2019 but will be smoother with the advent of digital screening stations that will not require security agents to check the belongings of the guests.
One prime element of the COVID-19 Safety Plan is the Covid-19 testing that will be carried out every 48 hours until and unless the vaccination is completed on the guests 15 days prior to the event commencement.
There will be a 300 square meter tent that will be used as a testing laboratory. Tests that are booked online will be free for French and other international guests and they will be provided with the result within 6 hours. The labs will conduct a salivary RT – PCR Test.
The Cannes Film Festival 2021 tickets will allow the participants to enjoy the inauguration ceremony. The ticket is priced between $50 to $450.
Cannes Film Festival 2021 Submission Deadline
Submission of films is now closed for the 2021 Official Selection. For Cinéfondation film school submissions the last day was on 26th March, 12th April was the last day for short films, and 26th April for feature films. The 74th Cannes film festival 2021 dates are from 6 to 17 July 2021.
Director Thierry Frémaux announced the Cannes Film Festival lineup of 63 films from around the world are premiering this year at Cannes and said that,
Cannes film festival 2021 winners are not yet announced. Let us have a look at some of the Cannes film festival 2021 nominees:
- Annette by Leos Carax (France)
- The French Dispatch by Wes Anderson (USA)
- Benedetta by Paul Verhoeven (Netherlands)
- A Hero by Asghar Farhadi (Iran)
- Tout s’est Bien Passé (Everything Went Well) by Francois Ozon (France)
- Tre Piani (Three Floors) by Nanni Moretti (Italy)
- Titane (Titan) by Julia Ducournau (France)
- Red Rocket by Sean Baker (USA)
- Petrov’s Flu by Kirill Serebrennikov (Russia)
- Par un Demi-Clair Matin (now known by the title “France”) by Bruno Dumont (France)
- Nitram by Justin Kurzel (Australia)
- Memoria by Apichatpong Weerasethakul (Thailand)
- Lingui by Mahamat-Saleh Haroun (Chad)
- Les Olympiades (Paris’ 13th District) by Jacques Audiard (France)
- Les Intranquilles (The Restless Ones) by Joachim Lafosse (Belgium)
- La Fracture by Catherine Corsini (France)
- The Worst Person in the World by Joachim Trier (Norway)
- Compartment No 6 by Juho Kuosmanen (Finland)
- Casablanca Beats by Nabil Ayouch (France-Morocco)
- Ahed’s Knee by Nadav Lapid (Israel)
- Drive My Car by Ryusuke Hamaguchi (Japan)
- Bergman Island by Mia Hansen-Love (France)
- The Story of My Wife by Ildiko Enyedi (Hungary)
- Flag Day by Sean Penn (USA)
The Cannes safety measures were high in volume in the 74th Cannes Film Festival. The guest and all the participants were expected to abide by all the rules and restrictions that were set up. Along with Cannes, the Venice film festival 2021 and Tribeca film festival 2021 were held with the same safety measures and precautions.