Rice porridge is a famous dish across Asia. This dish is known by many names like jok, congee, khao, chao, and jook. It is a tasty way of enjoying your breakfast or having a satisfying meal that keeps you full all day. In today’s article, we are going to have a look at the Thai coconut congee recipe.
The Thai coconut congee is eaten by the Christians on Good Friday (the day Jesus was crucified to death). This is a day of great sorrow, prayer, and reflection for many Christians across the globe. On this day, many Christians have only one meal. So that one meal has to be fulfilling. So there came this coconut congee recipe.
The Thai Coconut Congee
Primarily, it is a rice porridge that is made by boiling rice in a great deal of stock or water until it breaks down into a consistency similar to pudding. It is a classic Chinese breakfast dish. The Thai coconut congee recipe is also a staple in several nations that include Indonesia, Burma, Japan, Thailand, and even in many parts of Europe. There are many other similar recipes like sweet coconut rice porridge.
There are days when you want to have something spicy. So for that occasion this time let us try something new and a relatively uncommon dish. So without any further delay, let us begin with the Thai coconut congee recipe.
Thai Coconut Congee Recipe
A hearty bowl that is filled with Jasmine rice cooked in coconut milk, stock, Thai red curry paste, and various vegetables definitely fits the plate. The important ingredient in this Thai porridge with coconut milk is the red curry paste, which is a blend of flavorful items that make or break this recipe. So now let us have a detailed look at the Thai coconut congee recipe.
For Thai Red Curry Paste
- 4-6 dried red chilies depending on how much spice you like
- 2 red chilies deseeded and chopped
- 50 g galangal or ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 lemongrass outer skin removed and chopped
- 2 shallots chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 Tbsp coriander stems from a small bunch chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste use miso if vegan or veggie
- ½ tsp caster sugar
For Coconut Congee
- 225 g Jasmine Rice
- 1.5 Liters of chicken or vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut milk full fat
- 4 large cloves of garlic peeled and sliced
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 red chilies, mild deseeded and chopped
- 3 cm piece ginger peeled and cut into julienne
- 8 kaffir lime leaves
- 4-5 Tbsp fish sauce use soya sauce if veggie or vegan
- 2 tsp honey use sugar if vegan
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch Thai sweet basil or ordinary European basil
- 2 Tbsp toasted unsalted peanuts, crushed
- 2 Tbls Thai red curry paste or according to taste
- 1 Lime
For this Thai coconut congee recipe, the preparation time required is 55 minutes and the cooking time is nearly 22 minutes. So the total time required to prepare this dish is 1 hour and 17 minutes. This Thai main course serves approximately 4 people.
For Making The Thai Red Curry Paste
- Put the chopped chilies in a bowl and pour nearly 100ml of boiling water. Leave that to soak for 30 minutes. Drain, but keep the chili water.
- Tip the coriander and cumin seeds into a small pan and roast them until fragrant. Put the spices and chilies into a food processor with the remaining items and pulse until relatively smooth, by adding some of the chili water to help blend that into a purée. Keep the paste in an airtight jar, in the fridge, for nearly a month, alternatively, you can portion it into an ice-cube tray and then freeze them. You will only require 2 tablespoons for this recipe.
For Thai Coconut Congee
- Start this Thai congee recipe with the chicken, if you are using it, then poach in the chicken stock for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove and set to one side. Check you still have 1.5 liters of stock, if not top up with water.
- Next is the rice. Do not wash, just place in the stock and then simmer for 15 minutes, leave it to swell in the stock – do not drain.
- In a deep pan or wok, fry the sliced garlic in the oil until it just starts to color. Remove two-thirds of the slices and keep them to one side. Add the curry paste and also the chopped chilies to the pan or wok and gently cook that for a minute. Now add the coconut milk, half the lime leaves, 600ml water, fish sauce, and honey. Bubble that for roughly 5 minutes.
- Next, shred the chicken pieces. Add the tomatoes to the congee along with the rice, some of the stock, and then gently cook for nearly 2-3 minutes, add more stock if the rice swells too much. Lastly add the chicken, prepared ginger, and the basil leaves.
- Serve in bowls, topped with the crushed peanuts, reserved garlic, the remaining lime leaves, and also a wedge of lime.
Thai Coconut Congee Recipe In A Gist
You can also call this a vegetarian congee recipe. Let us have a look at the Thai coconut congee recipe in a gist.
Tried This Recipe?
Please rate the recipe by clicking the stars below.
Thai Coconut Congee
The Thai coconut congee recipe is suited to vegetarians, vegans, and meat eaters alike and this is gluten free as well. Just add chicken, vegetables, or seafood as per your taste. Once you have assembled all the ingredients, it is an incredibly simple and quick recipe to prepare. This recipe is also all about the toppings.
1 hr 17 mins
For Thai Red Curry Paste:
For Coconut Congee:
This Good Friday, let us make something new. This is a dish that is too fulfilling and tasty at the same time. This simple Thai coconut congee recipe which is a Thai dish requires minimum time with minimum ingredients. You can also have this like a coconut rice breakfast recipe. Serve that with good toppings and enjoy your dinner with your family and friends.