Velvet cakes can be traced back to the Victorian era when the term “velvet” was used for describing a cake whose texture was softer compared to sponge or pound cake. So on this Valentine’s Day, we are going to have a look at the Red Velvet Cake recipe that will make your lover fall in love with you all over again.
The original color of the Red Velvet Cake was derived by a chemical reaction between baking soda and cocoa. At the time of the WWII when raw materials were scarce, beet juice was used by the bakers to color the cake. Presently, it is typically prepared with red food coloring.
Best Red Velvet Cake Recipe For Your Valentine
The Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York City provided red velvet cake in 1930 and tried to take the credit for it, but this recipe was already famous by then. Presently, this cake is also available in heart shaped to offer a special pinch of love to it. This Valentine’s Day let us make this lovely cake with the original Red Velvet Cake recipe.
- Vegetable oil for the pans
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe follows
- Crushed pecans, for garnish
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For this 1kg Red Velvet Cake recipe, the preparation time required is 30 minutes and the cooking time is nearly 30 minutes. So the total time required to prepare this dish is 1 hours. This western dessert serves approximately 6-8 people.a
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly flour and oil three 9 by 1 1/2-inch round cake pans.
- In a big bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. In another big bowl, mix together the buttermilk, eggs, oil, food coloring, vinegar, and the vanilla. But there are other Red Velvet Cake recipes without buttermilk as well which you can opt for.
- Now by using a standing mixer, mix the dry products into the wet products until just mixed and a smooth batter is formed.
- Now divide the batter evenly among the ready cake pans. Place the pans in the oven evenly spaced apart. Now, bake, shifting the pans halfway via the cooking, until the cake comes away from the side of the pans, and a toothpick that is inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, nearly after 30 minutes.
- Detach the cakes from the oven and with a knife around the edges make them loosen from the sides of the pans. One at a time, put the cakes onto a plate and then re-invert them onto a cooling rack, rounded-sides up. Let cool fully.
- Frost the cake. Keep 1 layer, with the rounded-side down, in the center of a rotating cake stand. Using an offset spatula or a palette knife spread some of the Cream Cheese Frosting over the top of the cake. Delicately set another layer on top, rounded-side down, and repeat the process. Top the cake with the remaining layer and cover the complete cake with the rest of the frosting. Sprinkle the top with the pecans.
For The Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a standing mixer that is fitted with the paddle attachment, or also with a hand-held electric mixer in a big bowl, mix the sugar, cream cheese, and butter on low speed until incorporated. Raise the speed to high, and mix until it is fluffy and light, for nearly 5 minutes.
- Decrease the speed of the mixer to low. Add the vanilla, increase the speed to high and mix slowly until fluffy. Keep it in the refrigerator until somewhat stiff, prior to using. This may be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days as well.
Red Velvet Cake Recipe In A Gist
With that let us have a look at the recipe in a gist. For a Red Velvet cupcake recipe, you can refer to this same article. Only replace the pans with cupcake molds.
Tried This Recipe?
Please rate the recipe by clicking the stars below.
Red Velvet Cake
This Red Velvet Cake is incredibly soft and moist. Make your Valentine’s Day more special with this super delicious and extremely pleasurable moist Red Velvet Cake recipe.
This easy Red Velvet Cake recipe will indeed offer you a very mild flavor of chocolate since it has a very little cocoa powder. There is one thing that you should note. You can choose your cake molds accordingly. For Valentine’s Day special, you can go for heart shaped molds and surprise your lover with this amazing dessert.