Prepare a mouth-licking dinner with this coconut shrimp curry recipe, served with plain rice that will make the taste buds go crazy. A coconut curry that is prepared with minimal ingredients simmered around tender shrimps will make your summer dinner worthwhile. So without any further let us get started with the Indian coconut shrimp curry recipe.
How Long Does The Shrimp Take To Cook?
For making this shrimp curry recipe, Indian style try and find shrimps that are of jumbo-sized to obtain the best meatier result, both on or off tails can be used. You will only require cooking your shrimp for 1 minute on each side to get a crisp dimension to the shrimps and then fry off all the spices. Then you will require nearly 2 minutes to complete cooking in the sauce.
Secret To A Good Curry
The secret to making a good curry is the right amount and quantity of ingredients. The flavors are started with ginger, garlic, and onions, while cumin, garam masala, and turmeric add fuel to the taste. So for any fat Indian dish, these are prerequisite spices that boost any food.
Having said that, these ingredients can also be replaced by mild curry powder that may be lying somewhere at the back of your kitchen pantry, but the flavors may be a bit different. The best sauce for any shrimp recipe uses a mixture of coconut milk, crushed tomatoes. The coconut cream can be substituted with heavy cream.
Coconut Shrimp Curry Recipe
Now that you know a bit about the spices and shrimp that you will require about this recipe, let us now see the real recipe. This is made by preparing the sauce and then adding the shrimps in it. The sauce is the main thing for this dish. This can both be a South Indian and a Bengali cuisine.
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil,
- 1 pound (500g) Jumbo-sized shrimp, peeled, tails on or off
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder or curry powder
- 14 oz. (400g) can crushed tomatoes,
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red chili powder,
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 13.5 fl oz (400ml) can coconut milk
- freshly chopped cilantro, to garnish
This recipe requires 10 minutes to prepare and 12 minutes approximately to cook this easy shrimp curry recipe. So the total time required to prepare this dish is 22 minutes and serves approximately 4 people. This is the main course which is basically a South Indian dish.
- For the shrimp, mix all the spices in a bowl. Now heat a pan with 1 tablespoon of oil and toss the shrimps for a minute with the spices and keep it aside.
- Next heat the remaining oil along with butter on a large pan on medium heat. First, fry the onions until they are soft and turn light brown.
- Then add garlic and ginger and saute them until you start to get the aroma from them. Then add the cumin, garam masala, ground coriander, and turmeric. Cook, stirring occasionally the mixture until fragrant, for about 20 seconds.
- Now add the crushed tomatoes, salt, sugar, chili powder, and the coconut milk. Now allow this to simmer until it thickens for about 4 minutes. If you want to make a shrimp curry recipe without coconut milk, you can do that with navy cream.
- Now add the shrimps and allow it to cook for several minutes and once it is ready turn off the heat and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve it with hot rice.
Coconut Shrimp Curry Recipe In A Gist
A flavor-filled shrimp curry with an amazing coconut cream sauce cooks in no time from scratch. Forget jarred sauces, this sauce will have you licking your plates clean. Make an incredible dinner with minimal ingredients. You’ll be surprised at how good this coconut shrimp curry turns out to be. Just add, for Thai coconut shrimp curry, you will need to add the Thai mix that is available in the markets.
Tried This Recipe?
Please rate the recipe by clicking the stars below.
Coconut Shrimp Curry
A flavor-filled shrimp curry with an amazing coconut cream sauce cooks in no time from scratch. Forget jarred sauces, this sauce will have you licking your plates clean. Make an incredible dinner with minimal ingredients.
Now that you know about the coconut shrimp curry recipe, it is time that you try this at home with minimal ingredients and enjoy your dinner to its fullest. Let enlighten your Sunday night with this complete meal that will leave you licking your plate clean.