Radhakishan Damani is a 68 year old (as of 2022) Indian investor who founded the DMart retail chain back in 2002. He also manages his portfolio via his Investment firm named Bright Star Investments Limited. Being raised in a Marwari family, he had been raised in a one-room apartment in Mumbai. He studied commerce at Mumbai University but dropped out after a year. Following the death of his father who had worked on Dalal Street, Damani left behind his ball-bearing business and pursued stock market broking and investing. He had seen a major rise in his income due to the short-selling profits during the 1992 Harshad Mehta scam. He keeps a very low profile and thus refrains himself from appearing in the media quite frequently.
Radhakishan’s investment profile includes a number of holdings. Here is the list:
- 1% stake in the Andhra Paper
- 15% stake in India Cements in May 2020
- Publicly holds 6 stocks in his investment portfolio with a total value of his stock holdings is Rs 1,02,077cr approx. (Approx US$13 Billion) in 2021.
Awards & Accolades
Achievements of Radhakishan Damani include:
- Largest individual shareholder of HDFC Bank in 1995.
- Founded DMart in 2002.
- Is one of the top 5 Indian Billionaires as accounted by Forbes for 2020 and 2021.
- In 2017, he had made Rs 4,300 crores in just two days from stock through Avenue Supermart.
- Has been listed on Forbes Top 100 Billionaires list.