Cyrus S. Poonawalla, aged 81 years (As of 2022) is a billionaire businessman in India. He is the chairman & managing director of the Cyrus Poonawalla Group. This also includes the Serum Institute of India. He was born in a Parsi family. His son Adar Poonawalla currently works as the CEO of the Serum Institute of India. With the belief that “horse-breeding and racing have no future in the socialist India of the time”, he experimented with cars initially and also built a $120 prototype sports car modeled on the D-type Jaguar in his school life. He took up his education at Bishops School, Poona, and graduated from Brihan Maharashtra College of Commerce (BMCC) in 1966. He was also awarded a Ph.D. by the Pune University in 1988 for his thesis entitled "Improved Technology in the manufacture of specific Anti-toxins and its socio-economic impact on the Society.''
Industry Affiliations and Associations
Dr. Poonawalla is a member of the following institutions and bodies:
- The Equine Development Board, Government of India.
- The Vaccine Production Board of the Ministry of Health, Government of India.
- The Steering Committee of the Developing Country Vaccine Manufacturers Network (DCVMN).
- The National Institute of Biologicals under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
- Member, Governing Council, National Horse Breeding Society of India.
- Honorary Member of Indian Pharmaceutical Association (IPA).
- Patron – Indian Academy of Vaccinology & Immunobiology.
Awards & Accolades
Some of the awards and accolades of Cyrus Poonawalla include:
- Padma Shri for his contribution to the field of medicine, by the Government of India in 2005.
- Ernst & Young "Entrepreneur of the Year" in the category of Healthcare & Life Sciences in November 2007.
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year for India in February 2015.
- Honorary doctorate by The University of Massachusetts Medical School in June 2018.
- Honorary doctorate by the University of Oxford in June 2019.
- The 26th Punyabushan award [Pride of Pune] at Balgandharva Rangamandir, Pune on November 9th, 2014.
- The Asian Award for the "Business Leader of the Year" at Grosvenor House London on 4th April 2014.
- Lifetime Achievement Award by Governor and Chancellor K. Sankaranarayanan, at the University of Pune's 65th Foundation Day in February 2014.
- Best Vaccine Executive of the Year was awarded to Dr. Cyrus Poonawalla during the Vaccine Industry Excellence Awards Dinner at the World Vaccine Congress Asia event in June 2011.
- “No.1 Biotech Company of the year” award for four consecutive years from 2006 to 2009.